Brothers and Sisters:
I hope that you all had a safe Labor Day holiday. In my local county newspaper, there was a political cartoon that said, "If on this Labor Day you’re lucky enough to still have a job with decent pay, retirement and health benefits, sick leave and vacation time, you can thank a union member." I could not say it any better!
Local 355's 21st Annual Motorcycle Run will be on September 7, 2019; you must register with the hall.
On Sept 8, the regular General Membership Meetings start.
The Fall Golf Outing is Sept 21st at Compass Pointe; call the hall for more information.
Fall begins on Sept 23rd.
In October we have the 14th, Columbus Day and the 31st, Halloween.
The Summer Party was great as always. A very special thanks to all of the volunteers.
50 THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW
(or 50 Completely Useless Facts!)
- It's against the law to have a pet dog in Iceland*
- â¨â¨Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day
- Horatio Nelson, one of England's most illustrious admirals was throughout his life, never able to find a cure for his sea-sickness
- The skeleton of Jeremy Bentham is present at all important meetings of the University of London
- Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed peopleâ¨â¨
- Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, every time you breathe
- The elephant is the only mammal that can't jump
- â¨â¨One-quarter of the bones in your body are in your feet
- â¨â¨Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different
- â¨â¨The first known transfusion of blood was performed as early as 1667, when Jean-Baptiste, transfused two pints of blood from a sheep to a young man
- â¨â¨Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails
- Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin
- â¨â¨The present population of 5 billion-plus people of the world is predicted to become 15 billion by 2080
- Women blink nearly twice as much as men
- Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian
- Earth is the only planet not named after a god
- It's against the law to burp, or sneeze in a church in Nebraska
- â¨â¨You're born with 300 bones, but by the time you become an adult, you only have 206
- Some worms will eat themselves if they can't find any food
- Dolphins sleep with one eye open
- â¨â¨It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open
- The world’s oldest piece of chewing gum is 9000 years old
- The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds
- Queen Elizabeth 1 regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not
- Slugs have 4 noses
- Owls are the only birds who can see the color blue
- A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for 69 years
- A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue
- The average person laughs 10 times a day
- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
*The fact about dogs in Iceland is incorrect. However, it is true that an epidemic once killed most of the Icelandic dog population.
New Members: None
Sick Members: Warren Shultz, Jesse R. Taylor, George Booker, Willie Webb, Ernie Shipley, and Ernest Boritz
Deceased Members: Albert Greaver (Leaseway), Norman Scott (Redstar), Tyron Howard (Reliable Liquors), Clarence Parker (IDS) and Leonard Giuliano (Sun Papers)
Please keep these members and their families in your thoughts and prayers.
The next meetings will be on September 19th and October 17th at the Sullivan Hall at Teamsters Local 355, 1030 S. Dukeland St., Baltimore, MD. Coffee and donuts are served at 9:30 a.m. The Executive Board meets at 10 a.m., and the general meeting begins at 11 a.m. A light lunch is served following the general meeting. Hope to see you there. Remember to bring another retiree with you!